Get answers to your ELD-related questions
FMCSA provides answers to frequently asked questions about ELDs. Consult the FAQs when you have an ELD-related question, as the answer may already be at your fingertips. If you need further assistance, points of contact are listed below.Read the FAQs
FMCSA ELD Information Line
If you have a question for FMCSA's ELD Team, contact us at ELD@dot.gov or 800-832-5660.Email the ELD Team
If your question is regarding agricultural operations, please visit the FMCSA website or submit your question to email@example.com.Learn More
You can submit complaints regarding coercion or harassment, or regarding non-compliant ELD providers through FMCSA's National Consumer Complaint Database.Submit a Complaint
ELD Malfunction Extension Requests
A motor carrier seeking to extend the period of time permitted for repair, replacement, or service of one or more ELDs may request an extension per 49 CFR part 395.34.
HOW TO FILE FOR AN EXTENSIONIf you would like to file an ELD malfunction extension request by email, please submit your extension request to ELD-Extension@dot.gov and your request will be routed to the FMCSA Division Office in your State's field office. You may also contact the field office directly.
Extension Requests Must Include the Following:
- Legal name, principal place of business address, and USDOT number of motor carrier
- Name, address, and telephone number of the motor carrier representative filing the request
- Make, model, and serial number of each ELD
- Date and location of each ELD malfunction as reported by the driver to the carrier
- A concise statement describing actions taken by the motor carrier to make a good faith effort to repair, replace, or service the ELD units, including why the carrier needs additional time beyond the 8 days provided by 49 CFR Part 395.34.