FMCSA - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstration
 ELD News and Events  |  

FAQ Get answers to ELD-related questions

FMCSA provides answers to frequently asked questions about ELDs. Consult these FAQs when you have an ELD-related question, as the answer may already be at your fingertips.

Filter By Topic

Yes. A motor carrier may file an ELD malfunction extension request via email, by submitting the extension request to Include the legal name, principal place of business address and USDOT number of the motor carrier. The extension request must include the following information:

  1. The name, address, and telephone number of the motor carrier representative who will file the request;
  2. The make, model, and serial number of each ELD;
  3. The date and location of each ELD malfunction as reported by the driver to the carrier; and
  4. A concise statement describing actions taken by the motor carrier to make a good faith effort to repair, replace, or service the ELD units, including why the carrier needs additional time beyond the 8 days provided by 49 CFR part 395.34.
To request an extension from the FMCSA Division Administrator in the Field Office in your state, you may contact the office directly. FMCSA Division Administrator contact information can be found at

Last Updated : November 22, 2019